Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Rounding Number Nine



Picnic anyone?


Summer is right around the corner!

Well, not exactly.  Days are longer, temperature are warmer, but we are still immersed in winter here in northern Wisconsin.  

Perfect time to work on my winter quilt and I've finished designing and fusing 8 out of 9 total snowflake blocks.  Here they are:


Snowflakes 1 - 4




Snowflakes 5-8

I've been stuck on block #9:  "drawer's block?"  So, I  just let it sit there and look at me. By the way, a friend recently told me she thought that I draw my appliqués using my computer program, but no I actually draw everything on paper.  These snowflakes are all my original designs, using botanical and outdoor elements for the details. 

This is a "rough draft" of block #9.  I fused, cut and placed these pieces, and after staring at them for a couple of weeks now, I finally realize what they look like:  icicles!  I've never seen so many icicles on the eaves and everywhere as I have this year;  I guess they just showed up in fabric too!


Block #9 in progress

To complete the design, I thought I'd draw tree branches with snow using the next photo as inspiration.








Leo immersed in wintry fabric.

By the way, my shore birds quilt did not win an award at the Mid Atlantic Quilt Festival.  I'm still waiting to hear if it's been juried into the Paducah Ky, 2013 show.  





No comments:

Post a Comment