Thursday, September 27, 2012

Pacific International Quilt Fest


Flower Power will be traveling again, this time to Santa Clara, CA to the Pacific International Quilt Fest, October 11 - 14.  I branched away from my usual favorite shows, entered this show and was accepted.  Here's hoping one of the judges is of my vintage (aging hippie) and is taken just by the title alone!

I thought I'd share the process I go through to enter a major quilt show, step-by-step:

- Choosing which shows to enter is the first step.  I make quilts for me, number one, and then I find shows I think are a good fit for my quilts.  I have my favorite shows, which I enter every year.  (see AWARDS on my web site)

- An entry form with required fee needs to be completed and mailed by the specified deadline.  Some shows require digital images of the quilt on a disc; some just photos.  Getting a good photo is the hardest part for me.  A bad photo can disqualify an entry immediately. 

- Once my quilt is juried into the show, I will receive a notification letter with delivery instructions and dates. Each show has it's own criteria.

- I keep track of dates on my calendar, and keep a file folder for each show.  I need to be sure I don't enter the same quilt in two different shows at the same time!

- Next, I need a proper box and clear plastic bag to pack and ship my quilt, again following specific instructions for each show.  I always use UPS or FedEx, with tracking numbers.  I never disclose on the outside of the box "quilt" - and I am never asked what I am shiping, nor am I asked the value amount.  I use a pack and ship store, but always package up my quilt myself.  Return instructions and shipping fees are also included.

- Each of my show quilts has been professionally appraised and I carry a rider on my home owner's insurance for each quilt.  Loss or damage in shipping is covered, so I do not purchase extra insurance. However, the same is NOT covered while a quilt is on display at a show.  The show itself has liability coverage and I enclose a copy of the quilt appraisal when entering so that it's insured for the proper amount.  I would surely miss my quilt if anything happened to it;  cash itself couldn't replace it! 

- I look forward to receiving my quilt back with the judges' comments (and maybe a ribbon) and I keep big binders with all the info from each show, for each quilt.

- That's it!  It is fun to enter shows.  I love the idea that thousands of quilters (and non quilters) can see my work.  Every quilt I make is made to be "show quality" whether I intend to show it or not.  That goal has helped me improve my skills and makes the act of creating a quilt very enjoyable for me.   Although some day, I just want to whip together a fun quilt.  I wonder if I can do it?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment