Sunday, September 16, 2012

A Step Back

 
My very first quilt, untitled, which I made when I was in high school.


This quilt was hand quilted by my mom and presented back to me as a surprise in 1972.

Why am I posting photos of my first quilt?  Hardly a materpiece, but I have kept it all these years and always loved it. Every story must have a beginning, and this quilt would mark the beginning of my quilting life story. 

Speaking of stories, I've been thinking lately about why and how I blog.  I started blogging about 2 years ago.  Others were blogging so why not try it?  It was fun and seemed to validate my work.  I had no real goals in mind, but since I started blogging, I have written patterns, been published in Quilter's Newsletter and also have written a book of my quilt designs (to be published by The American Quilter's Society in 2013. 

Looking back at my blog archives, they do tell my story and are a diary of my quilting life. 

My blog is still mainly about my work and I have not entered the world of reblogging.  I do have a Pinterest account and boards full of neat stuff that all belongs to someone else.  It makes me wonder:  have I been paging through Pinterest posts and Tumblr blogs, looking for ideas rather than letting my ideas occur naturally, like they always have?  Are all these images crowding out my own creative thoughts?  Should I be gathering and storing my own inspirations in my head and sketching them on paper? 

My first quilt was not made from a pattern - I simply cut squares from whatever fabric remnants I could find and arranged and stitched them in a geometric design.  Now I know that it really is reminiscent of  the traditional pattern: "Trip Around the World" - and maybe I had seen it somewhere and it stuck in my head.  In other words, we are always "reblogging" the work and ideas of someone else.  Nothing is truly, completely original.

So, I'll continue to write my blog, share my personal stories and ideas and progress.  I hope you are inspired by what you see and create something!  And we'll see what we shall see.



No comments:

Post a Comment