Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Winter Solstice

Hello from the northwoods!  And Happy Winter Solstice.  It has been snowing all day, very quiet and beautiful.  No quilting today.  This is always a day I mark and enjoy.  I'm not totally sure why;  it's the shortest day and the longest night of the year and the first day of winter.  Maybe I just like the word "solstice."  

I've been thinking about the concept of time all day.  When meeting other quilters and sharing my work, I often hear comments like:  "Where do you find the time?"  of " You must have a lot of time."  Things like that.  Another question I often get is "How long did it take you to make that?"  

Do I have a lot of "time" to do my quilting?  Well, OK, I'm retired at the moment, but the bulk of my quilting life has been shared with raising two daughters, maintaining a couple of homes and work.  So, that's not it.  The time to quilt finds me I guess.  It's not like a task or chore I have to fit into my day.  I've never felt:  "Gee, if I had more time I could do more!"  I often marvel at what other people accomplish, but don't think of it in terms of the time they have.

And how long does it take to make a quilt?  Some quilters use a stop watch and record every minute they spend on a quilt - it's an impressive figure usually.  But I don't keep track and can only say I finish one big quilt every year - not mentioning other small projects I also finish.  


I wonder if these swans think about time....

No comments:

Post a Comment