Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Thinking outside appliqué


Wallhanging 9 1/2" x 23"


I just finished a small wallhanging using patterns from the book "3D Folded Blocks"  AQS books.  

This was a fun project and forced me to think outside my comfort zone (appliqué, appliqué, appliqué) and to try something I've never done before.  These traditional blocks are actually created by fabric folding; sort of like doing origami.  Once finished, I machine quilted the wallhanging using my walking foot and simple, geometric stitching lines.



Close up of 3D folded blocks



Easy hanging method



Instead of a hanging sleeve, I stitched 3" folded corner triangles to the back top side of the quilt just before adding the binding.  A narrow, flat wooden strip cut to size is slipped inside the triangles, and then I attached a small picture hanging hook.




Finished wallhanging hung on guest bathroom wall.



Opposite wall of bathroom with my color inspiration for wallhanging. 


No comments:

Post a Comment