Monday, October 3, 2011

A Golden Opportunity


I have not blogged for a few weeks, nor have I been quilting, though I've appliqued four of my newest quilt blocks and pieced them together.  I have this piece pinned to my wall and as I usually do, I get ideas by just gazing at it.  I have the rest of the appliques ready to cut, fuse and stitch to the background.  There will be 16 blocks total and a neat appliqued border yet to be designed. Something like this:




Well, then what have I been doing? The American Quilter's Society has accepted  my book proposal and agreed to publish it my book.  If I sound rather calm about this, I'm not.  This is a huge opportunity for me and to say I'm just overwhelmed at the moment would be about right.  


I plan to include 8 of my quilt patterns. I've been working on Woods and Wildflowers, as this is probably the biggest challenge.  I kept notes and drawings when I made this quilt, but I wish they had been more thorough.  In the back of my mind, I've always wanted to write a book, but that thought stayed right there - in the back of my mind.  It has been great having Woods and Wildflowers out again as I am remembering the inspiration for each block and the fun I had making them. 

My motivation for writing a book?
I'm not looking for fame or notoriety, some money would be nice, but no, it's that I really do want to share my quilts with others.  What good are all these quilts to me alone?  Isn't that what the world of quilting is all about? After all, I learned everything  I know about quilting from other quilters. 

Having my book published will be a feather in my cap though, not to be too humble.  So, I put a feather in my hair and called it.....

No comments:

Post a Comment