Monday, July 18, 2011

More bugs

But There's a Bug in my Bouquet!


I designed and made this quilt a few years ago.  It measures 89" x 89" and is based on the traditional quilt block "Friendship Bouquet" -hence the title.  I designed the beetles and drangonflies after studying some real insect specimens (dead of course). 

Who really likes insects anyway?  Right now in the Northwoods of Wisconsin, deer flies and mosquitoes are rampant and especially annoying.  But if you look at an insect in detail, it can be beautiful with amazing detail and symmetry, some with beautiful colors.  They all have a purpose of some sort.  Now don't get me wrong here; I'll swat and squash the buggers when they bug me!

Right now this quilt is on display with several of my other quilts at the Fabric Patch in Ironwood, Michigan - one of my all time favorite quilt shops. 

And you may recognize these bug designs. I liked them so much I used them again in a recently finished quilt.

No comments:

Post a Comment