Tuesday, May 10, 2011

The Show Must Go On

Flower Power wins third place


I enter and attend lots of quilt shows, but the annual American Quilter's Society show held in Paducah, Ky is my favorite.  I spend the week at my sister's home in Cape Girardeau, Missouri - a short 80 miles away and we go to the show together.  


This year was my 8th show to attend.  I've entered a total of 6 quilts, 4 of them juried into the show, and this year I actually won an award:  third place in my category.  So, that was a thril to say the least.  


But, another part of the story is that the show was almost canceled this year.  

Shortly after having the entire quilt display had been set up, the city of Paducah informed the AQS people that they would have to vacate the Expo and Convention centers due to the rising Mississippi river and threat of flooding.  


The AQS "rose" to the occasion, found other sites for the displays and vendors and the show went on without a hitch.... well, at least from my perspective.


It was actually a wonderful show this year.  We enjoyed going to the different sites and overall the variety and quality of the quilts was outstanding.  

I won't soon forget my award, and will never forget this year's show and the determination and positive attitude of the AQS.

No comments:

Post a Comment